Allergic rhinitis, especially affecting about 20-25% of the population and common in women, can cause asthma if it is not treated.
Prof. Dr. Memorial Antalya Hospital Chest Diseases Department Dr. Necla Songur gave information about allergic diseases and ways of protection.
7-month long process
Allergies; an abnormal response resulting from the nose to the small particles in the air, called allergens, develops. In some people, these particles may cause allergic asthma in the lungs and allergic conjunctivitis in the eyes.
Environmental factors and genetic susceptibility play a major role in the development of allergies. The allergy season starts in February and ends in October. Trees, grass or weed pollen can cause allergies. In February and March, allergens arise from the pollen of more leafy trees.
In the period from late March to July, allergies associated with grassland exposure, which is very strong in allergies, are seen. In the two months following July, allergens triggered by pollen of weeds are encountered.
Pay special attention to windy weather
In May, June, and July, allergy, which is called meadow grass allergies, is the type of allergy that disturbs people the most. Spring and summer months are periods when the wind is abundant.
Especially in a place with a lot of natural environment like Antalya, the pollen of meadow grass with high allergen power can spread to wide areas much more quickly with the wind. For this reason, the effects on allergic people can be strong.
Meadow grass and pine allergies are more common in the Mediterranean region. Those who live in this region under the influence of Nemin are at a higher risk than the other regions.
If this is the case, consult a specialist;
- Itching and irritation in eyes
- Congestion or excessive nasal discharge
- Postnasal drip
- Throat or itching sensation
- Dry cough
- Chronic fatigue
- Shortness of breath
- A chronic cough with or without prolonged cough
- Wheezing or whistling
- Itching sensation at the front of the chest
The test makes the preparation process difficult
In the spring and summer, where the preparation for the exam is intense, it is difficult for allergic students. Because people with nasal congestion due to allergic rhinitis can reduce sleep quality at night, the next day, attention deficit, headache or dizziness. This can lead to decreased work performance in adults and school performance in students.
An uneventful cough may be the asthmatic reporter …
A cough is one of the symptoms that signify allergic rhinitis, and it is the only symptom of asthma. When it comes to asthma, it should not be ignored that a chronic cough may be a symptom of asthma.
In some asthmatic patients, the complaint is defined as asthma with coughing and coughing. Coughing asthma is considered a pioneer of classical asthma and if not treated it can be converted to classical asthma by 30%.
Even if the treatment is seen, it must be protected!
Although drugs used against allergies help to cope with the problem, besides the treatment applied, it is very important for the people to protect themselves.
Pay attention to these 11 items to protect against allergies;
- Take care not to go out early in the morning when pollen is busiest.
- Do not ventilate your house early in the morning.
- Instead of ventilating the house with glass, use pollen filter air conditioner. Prefer air cleaners with pollen filters when the air conditioner is not available.
- Avoid activities such as lawn mowing and wear a mask if such an action is absolutely necessary.
- When you come home from the outside, change your clothes absolutely.
- Avoid drying clothes outdoors.
- When going to picnic areas where there are plenty of meadows and grass, be careful to wear a mask.
- Prefer more humid environments or higher altitudes for the holidays.
- Make sure to bath every day for the pollen that accumulates in the hair.
- Avoid opening your car windows when you go to work early in the morning.
- Use glasses and hats outside and rinse under running water every day to purify your glasses from pollen.